1 Aug 2021

Holy Rood Church, Bagworth



 Due to devastating coal mining subsidence, Bagworth's Norman church was demolished in 1968. In its place, the Coal Board constructed an edifice of CLASP prefabricated concrete panels on top of a floating foundation. To my eye it looked like a small version of one of Cotgrave's koele towers: no doubt the NCB architect considered it modern and distinctive. In 2013 the concrete was rotting and cracking having suffered weather damage and it too has now been demolished

 

Dishley Grange, Hathern


 Robert Bakewell (who lived at Dishley Grange) was famous for his pioneering artificial selection methods and successful animal breeding. He also experimented with irrigation systems and visitors were astonished that his fields could yield so much produce. By diverting a brook and using an innovative system of ditches, he was able to cut hay twice a year and grow cabbages and turnips to feed his livestock over the winter months. 

31 Jul 2021

Plastic Owl, Covert Lane, Scraptoft


 

Yellow and Green, Manor Farm, Hoby


 

Pooles Lodge Farm, Woodfold Lane, Freeby


 Woodfold Lane rises up from the Eye valley at Brentingby, to meet the A607 before Waltham on the Wolds. It has a very rural feel as it twists and turns on its way past open views over arable fields. Then, it has to abruptly swerve around this farm which juts out into the carriageway, before it continues on and up to the main road. 


Easthorpe Lane, Muston


 Muston, "the village infested with mice", lies 1.5 miles east of Bottesford. In 1845, with a population of 351 it boasted a joiner, vicar, two shoemakers, blacksmith, shopkeeper, tailor, baker, schoolmistress, grocer, butcher, innkeeper and 12 farmers. At one time, many villages were quite self-sufficient.


Anti aircraft searchlight battery & pillbox, Welby Lane, Ashfordby


This Second World War Type 22 hexagonal pillbox faces east across a valley to the northern edge of Melton Mowbray. It was designed to be used with rifles and light machine guns. It is also less than a mile to the north of Ashfordby Ironworks where steel bomb casings were made and which was subjected to at least one enemy bombing raid.      


30 Jul 2021

Woodhill Farm, Old Dalby

The Fordson Model N tractor was produced between 1929 and 1940. Machines just like this one, in its Empire Blue and Orange livery would have played a part in reducing the reliance on horses on many  Leicestershire farms. 


View towards Six Hills from Hoby Lane, Rotherby


Before the turnpike road was built in 1810, all traffic from Leicester to Melton descended into the Wreake valley, past this view and on into Frisby on the Wreake. Today the A607 bypasses the gradients by following the top of the ridge up to Chalk Pool Hill and Kirby Bellars.

The Birds of Paradise Lane, Old Dalby


 Old Dalby, or Wold Dalby as it was once known, sits in a valley nestled under the northern edge of the Leicestershire Wolds. Paradise Lane is a village back road that leads round to the church and Dalby Hall. In 1803 and with reference to the church minister's house, Nichols wrote of "an adjoining piece of ground, yet called Paradise, which originally, perhaps, was a fine garden".